Monday, August 6, 2007

And some debates to go with those tips... participate... leave your comments :)

Let's have some debate here about the previous tips. What do you do?

Adjust your thermostat dial and turn up energy savings.
Setting your thermostat to keep air conditioning at 78°F when it 's hot outside, and your heating system at 68°F when it 's cold, can help save up to 20% in heating and cooling costs.

From the time I have started taking a look at my air conditioning behavior, I see that it keeps running for a long time if it's off for a long time and the difference between the actual room temperature and the desired (set by the thermostat) temperature difference is greater than 5 degrees. But if we leave it on on a set temperature (I leave it on 78 degrees F), the air-conditioning keeps switching on and off (working for smaller periods of time) more frequently.

Now I have the doubt: which option is better? Leaving the air-conditioning on at a fixed thermostat temperature all the time OR turning it off when you fell okay to turn it off... and turn it on again whenever you feel it's getting too hot/cold.


I generally follow this method. When I am at home, I keep it at a fixed temperature. During summers, I know that the temperature falls down at night here in the place I live. So, I turn off the air-conditioning if the temperature outside is less and open up all the windows to let the cooler breeze/air flow in. And again switch it on when the next day morning the temperature has gone above what I can tolerate.... here's the case when the air-conditioning has to work the hardest, because sometimes, without realizing, the tolerable temperature goes higher that 78.. like 83...

So, let me know any suggestions to improve more on this. And start doing it if you think it's right way to save some energy on your part, if you can. You save energy as well as some money too :)

Little things on one's own part are going to contribute a big thing together. Because YOU or I are not the only ones can contribute... everyone can.

No comments: