Thursday, August 9, 2007

More trees

How many trees have you planted in your lifetime? (There will be some who will respond to this answer with a "None", :D I am one of them :D)

This question applies to me too and I'm not very happy to say this: I have planted a lot of small plants, but no trees. I wish I had, but the way I've been living all these years (like staying on rent and all...student life, you know!), I couldn't do that. But I definitely want to do that. I have paid a few extra bucks in my utility bills for planting a tree by paying a extra $5 or something like that, but then how can one really check on them to see if they have really planted a tree!

But I do like trees as such (and nature in general) and admire houses that I see on my way here and there which have a tree in their front yards. So, probably, when I have a house of my own, I'll end up having a few trees in my front yard and some in the backyard too... having more trees is not going to hurt :).

Talking in terms of global warming, there are certain greenhouse gas emissions that can be reduced but can't be avoided. These emissions can be contributed by even driving a near-zero emission vehicle (usually called PZEV or Partial-Zero Emission Vehicle), general day-to-day activities like cooking food, even lighting (your water heater also does contribute). Remember, putting energy saving lighting, using low emission vehicles is going to help a lot in reducing the emissions. But more can be contributed towards reducing those emissions too... by planting more trees. {A step towards becoming climate neutral}

Today's tip
: (will be helpful for people who are instantly inspired to go and plant a tree right now in their backyards) If you are digging a hole to plant a tree, call 811 or go to http://www.call811.com before you start digging. This way, you will be aware that you are not damaging any underlying utility lines (if any) and thus help yourself by preventing any fines/repair costs and any injuries to yourselves and/or others. Remember, Prevention is always better than Cure.

More info
: I was just googling for "reduce your greenhouse emissions" and came across this site which has a lot of useful links and information:
http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/carbon_offset_wind_credits_carbon_reduction.htm. Thought it might help someone get more information. :)

No comments: